Nevada Las Vegas Mission - Provo MTC, Elko, Las Vegas

While Elder Cronin is busy serving the Lord, and the people of the Nevada Las Vegas Mission, we will be busy keeping you all up to date on his adventures. Please visit often, we appreciate your support!!!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

June 25, 2012 Life

Family,

Summer is definitely here! We are hitting the 110s. What amazes me is the shade is usually 5-10 degrees cooler here. 

I took my last and final trip as a missionary to Elko this past weekend. I was able to see a few people but we stayed fairly busy while we were there. President, Sister Neider and myself went up there to say good-bye to the Elders and Sisters serving there right now. Come July 1 they will all be part of the Reno Nevada Mission. Elder Sparks came too, but for him it was more of a hello and see you soon because he will be going to the Reno Mission as one of the Assistants. What an adventure all that will be. I am sad to see him go because we are great friends and I have learned so much from him but at the same time I know it will be a great opportunity for him. 

So a few weeks ago we were in a lesson with one of our investigators outside on her front porch. As we sat there up walked these two members of another church that have missionaries as well. These members were older gentlemen in their 50s I'm sure. What a sight! They were polite and did not realize we were in a middle of a lesson or that we missionaries were even there in the first place. We exchanged polite introductions and light religious humor and they were on their way. This was a first for me. What's more is that we are at a pivotal point with this lady we are teaching. She is understanding what we teach for the most part but is really struggling with some of the commandments. We came back the next Tuesday. By this time she had committed to live the Word of Wisdom and was excited to sit down with us and work out a plan to help her quit. Then, as we were explaining the aid which would come from Christ according to Alma 7, there was a knock at the door. Who do you think it was?!?!?!? None other than the same gentlemen that walked up on us just a week before! I was in shock. The kind-hearted lady our investigator is let them in for a moment, mostly I'm sure so they could see we were there too. The ironic part of all this is that we showed up to this appointment 1 hour after we had originally planned. Again, polite salutations and religious humor mixed with subliminal doctrinal attacks and they were on their way. I could not believe the fact that it happened again!!!! Our investigator made a good point after they left. She said she had not invited them but she can see God's hand in all of this. He works in mysterious ways. 

I cannot believe that I have 6 weeks left!!!!!?!?!?!? With each day comes a reminder of the remainder of my mission and how important it is now more than ever to make these weeks count. In my mind it is a simile of life. A mission is like life. It begins only to draw closer to its end. This is why it is so important to make the best of each day. The biggest lesson I have earned in all of this as I reflect on the last 16 transfers is that we only get one chance to make each moment right then a lifetime to think about what we did with that moment. This is why I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Through him those moments less productively spent can be corrected.

Life happens to us all...its up to us to make the best of it. 

Love,
EC




No comments:

Post a Comment